EBK Home
  Kingdoms
  Royalty
  Saints  
  Pedigrees
  Archaeology
  King Arthur
  Adversaries
  For Kids
  Mail David

 


Godbegot House, Winchester
Saxon Estate

Though rebuilt in the 15th century Godbegot House stands on the grounds of the ancient Saxon manor of Godbegot. It is currently a restaurant, situated on the north side of the High Street, opposite the former Guildhall (now Lloyd's Bank). 

Godbegot appears to have been one of lordly estates into which the old Roman walled town of Winchester had been divided in the 9th century. Only in King Alfred's reign did the place become a busy and populous city. The estate later belonged to Queen Emma, wife of King Canute and mother of King Edward the Confessor, who gave it to Winchester Cathedral in 1052.

 

    Nash Ford Publishing 2001. All Rights Reserved.