St. Cuthbert of Canterbury,
Archbishop of Canterbury
(Died AD 760)
Cuthbert, Abbot of Liminge, became Bishop of Hereford and was translated to Canterbury in AD 741. He took part in the Synod of Clofesho (possibly Brixworth in Northamptonshire), at which several canons were drawn up enjoining the due observance of Sunday and admonishing the clergy to be diligent in baptising and instructing their flocks, and in celebrating the sacred offices.
Cuthbert obtained Papal permission for the, previously forbidden, practice of interring the dead within the walls of cities; and was thus the first Archbishop of Canterbury to be buried in his own Cathedral. For this pupose, he added, to Canterbury Cathedral, the Chapel of St. John the Baptist, which he desired should be the place of burial for not only himself but also for his successors. He died on 26th October AD 758 and his wishes were carried out to the letter. There seems to be some confusion as to whether he should be reverred as a saint.
Edited from G.M. Bevan's "Portraits of the Archbishops of Canterbury" (1908).
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2001. All Rights Reserved.|