The Church of St. Cadwaladr at Llangadwaladr on Ynys Mon (Anglesey) was established sometime around AD 615. It was a Royal monastery patronised by the Kings of Gwynedd from nearby Aberffraw. Their heirs, the Kings of England, appointed the rectors here until 1920.
The place was originally called Eglwys Ael, meaning 'Wattle Church', and is most famous as the burial place of King Cadfan of Gwynedd who died in AD 625. His remarkable memorial, incised with a small cross, was discovered near the church many years ago, and is now built into the church wall. It bears the inscription: "King Cadfan, the Wisest and Most Renowned of All Kings [Lies Here]".
It is possible that Cadfan's father, King Iago, was also buried here. His grandson, King Cadwaladr the Blessed was certainly a patron and is thought to have retired to a monastic life here, late in his reign. When he died in Rome in AD 682, his body was returned for burial at Eglwys Ael, which thenceforward changed its name to Llangadwaladr. He is depicted in the east window of the present church which dates from the 12th century.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2003. All Rights Reserved.|