Who were they?
- In the centuries around the year
zero, the people
from Italy were called Romans. Their capital city was Rome.
- They were much more advanced than the
people in Britain. They had lots of clever inventions and ways of
- The Romans had a big army which fought
increased the land over which they ruled. This land was known as the
Roman Empire. It was ruled by the Emperor.
- In AD 43, the Romans
Britain so that they could have the rich minerals there (lead, tin and
- They defeated the Britons and
took over the island. They called it 'Britannia'. The Britons had
called it 'Prydein'.
- The Romans set up towns and
cities all over Britain and taught the people all their ways. They
ruled for nearly 400 years.
- Merchants and other people from
all over the Roman Empire came to trade and settle in Britain. Even
some of the Emperors visited.
- Lots of Roman soldiers came to
Britain. They decided not to take over the area now called Scotland.
So they built a big wall across the north of the country to keep out
the people who lived there. This marked the very edge of the Roman
Empire. Parts of it still stand today. It is called Hadrian's