in the South
- The modern counties of Sussex
were a kingdom in the Dark Ages. Traditionally, it was
settled by Saxons from North-West Germany.
- The name Sussex means 'Land of
the South Saxons'.
- The first king was a man named
Aelle. He lived in the late 5th century.
- The kings probably lived at
Chichester. Their Royal monastery was possibly at Steyning.
- The kings often shared their
kingdom between brothers or other relatives.
- Not much is known about the
Sussex kings. The most famous was the first king, Aelle.