Welsh Annals (8th C. & later)
- 447 Days as dark as night.
- 453 Easter altered on the Lord's Day by
Pope Leo, Bishop of Rome.
- 454 St. Brigid is born.
- 457 St. Patrick goes to the Lord.
- 458 St. David is born in the thirtieth
year after Patrick left Menevia.
- 468 The death of Bishop Benignus.
- 501 Bishop Ebur rests in Christ, he was
350 years old.
- 516 The Battle of Badon, in which Arthur
carried the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ for three days and three
nights on his shield and the Britons were the victors.
- 521 St. Columba is born. The death of St.
- 537 The Strife of Camlann, in which Arthur
and Medraut perished; and there was plague in Britain and Ireland.
- 544 The eternal sleep of Ciaran.
- 547 A great plague in which Maelgwn, King
of Gwynedd, died. Thus they say 'The long sleep of Maelgwn in the
court of Rhos'. Then was the yellow plague.
- 558 The death of Gabran, son of Dungart.
- 562 Columba went to Britain.
- 565 The voyage of Gildas to Ireland.
- 569 The 'Synod of Victory' was held
between the Britons.
- 570 Gildas wisest of the Britons died.
- 573 The battle of Arfderydd between the
sons of Eliffer and Gwenddoleu son of Ceidio; in which battle
Gwenddoleu fell; Merlin went mad.
- 574 The eternal sleep of Brendan of Birr.
- 580 Gwrgi and Peredur sons of Elifert
- 584 Battle against the Isle of Man and the
burial of Daniel of the Bangors.
- 589 The conversion of Constantine to the
- 594 Aethelbert reigned in England.
- 595 The death of Columba. The death of
King Dunod son of Pabo. Augustine and Mellitus converted the English
- 601 The synod of the City of the Legion.
Gregory died in Christ, and also bishop David of Moni ludeorum.
- 606 The burial of Bishop Cynog.
- 607 The death of Aidan son of Gabran.
- 612 The death of Kentigern and Bishop
- 613 The Battle of Caer Legion and there
died Selyf son of Cynan. And Iago son of Beli slept eternally.
- 616 Ceredig died.
- 617 Edwin begins his reign.
- 624 The sun is covered.
- 626 Edwin is baptized, and Rhun son of
Urien baptized him.
- 627 Belin dies.
- 629 The besieging of King Cadwallon in the
Island of Glannog.
- 630 Gwyddgar comes and does not return. On
the Kalends of January the Battle of Meigen; and there Edwin was
killed with his two sons; but Cadwallon was the victor.
- 631 The Battle of Cantscaul [Denisburne]
in which Cadwallon fell.
- 632 The Slaughter of the Severn and the
death of Idris.
- 644 The Battle of Cogwy in which Oswald,
King of the Northmen, and Eawa, King of the Mercians, fell.
- 645 The hammering of the region of Dyfed,
when the monastery of David was burnt.
- 649 Slaughter in Gwent.
- 650 The rising of a star.
- 656 The Slaughter of Campus Gaius.
- 657 Penda killed.
- 658 Oswy came and took plunder.
- 661 Cummine the Tall [dies].
- 662 Brochfael the Tusked dies.
- 665 The first celebration of Easter among
the Saxons. The Second Battle of Badon. Morgan dies.
- 669 Oswy, King of the Saxons, dies.
- 676 A star of marvellous brightness was
seen shining throughout the whole world.
- 682 A great plague in Britain, in which
Cadwaladr son of Cadwallon dies.
- 683 A plague was in Ireland.
- 684 A great earthquake in the Isle of Man.
- 689 The rain turned to blood in Britain
and, in Ireland, milk and butter turned to blood.
- 704 Aldfrith, King of the Saxons, died.
The eternal sleep of Adomnan.
- 714 Night was as bright as day. Pepin the
Elder [Pepin II], King of the Franks, died in Christ.
- 717 Osred, King of the Saxons, dies.
- 718 The consecration of the church of the
archangel Michael ton mount Gargano.
- 721 A hot summer.
- 722 Beli son of Elffin dies. And the
Battle of Hehil among the Cornish, the Battle of Garth Maelog, the
Battle of Pencon among the Southern Britons; and the Britons were the
victors in those three battles.
- 728 The Battle of Mount Carno.
- 735 Bede the priest sleeps eternally.
- 736 Oengus, King of the Picts, died.
- 750 Battle between the Picts and the
Britons, that is the Battle of Mocetauc. And their King, Talorgan, is
killed by the Britons. Tewdwr son of Beli dies.
- 754 Rhodri, King of the Britons, dies.
- 757 Ethelbald, King of the Saxons, dies.
- 760 A battle between the Britons and the
Saxons, that is the Battle of Hereford and Dyfnwal son of Tewdwr dies.
- 768 Easter is changed among the Britons
ton the Lord's day. Elfoddw, servant of God, emending it.
- 775 Ffernfael son of Ithael dies.
- 776 Cinaed, King of the Picts dies.
- 777 Abbot Cuthbert dies.
- 778 The devastation of the Southern
Britons by Offa.
- 784 The devastation of Britain by Offa in
- 796 Devastation by Rheinwg son of Offa.
The first coming of the gentiles [the Vikings] among the
- 797 Offa, King of the Mercians, and
Maredudd, King of the Demetians, die and the Battle of Rhuddlan.
- 798 Caradog, King of Gwynedd, is killed by
- 807 Arthen, King of Ceredigion, dies.
- 808 Rhain, King of the Demetians, and
Cadell, King of Powys, die.
- 809 Elfoddw, Archbishop in the Gwynedd
region, went to the Lord.
- 810 The moon covered. Mynyw burnt. Death
of cattle in Britain.
- 811 Owain son of Maredudd dies.
- 812 The fortress of Degannwy is struck by
lightning and burnt.
- 813 Battle between Hywel and Cynan. Hywel
was the victor.
- 814 There was great thunder and it caused
many fires. Tryffin son of Rhain died. And Gruffydd son of Cyngen is
killed by treachery by his brother Elisedd after an interval of two
months. Hywel triumphed over the Island of Mona and he drove Cynan
from there with a great loss of his own army.
- 816 Hywel was again expelled from Mona and
Cynan. Cynan the King dies. Saxons invaded the Mountains of Eryri and
the Kingdom of Rhufoniog.
- 817 The Battle of Llan-faes.
- 818 Cenwulf devastated the Dyfed region.
- 822 The fortress of Degannwy is destroyed
by the Saxons and they took the kingdom of Powys into their own
- 825 Hywel dies.
- 831 Lunar eclipse. Laudent died and
Sadyrnfyw Hael of Mynyw died.
- 840 Nobis the Bishop ruled Mynyw.
- 842 Idwallon dies.
- 844 Merfyn dies. The Battle of Cetill.
- 848 The Battle of Ffinnant. Ithael, King
of Gwent, was killed by the men of Brycheiniog.
- 849 Meurig was killed by Saxons.
- 850 Cynan is killed by the gentiles [the
- 853 Mona is laid waste by black gentiles [the
- 854 Cynan, King of Powys, died in Rome.
- 856 Kenneth, King of the Picts, died. And
Jonathan, Prince [Abbot] of Abergele, dies.
- 860 Mael Sechnaill died.
- 862 Catgueithen was expelled.
- 864 Duda laid Glywysing waste.
- 865 Cian of Nanhyfer died.
- 866 The City of York was laid waste, that
is the battle with the black gentiles [the Vikings].
- 869 The Battle of Bryn Onnen.
- 870 The fortress of Alt Clud was broken by
the gentiles [the Vikings]
- 871 Gwgon, King of Ceredigion, was
- 873 Nobis the Bishop and Meurig die. The
Battle of Bannguolou.
- 874 Llunferth the Bishop consecrated.
- 875 Dungarth, King of Cerniw, that is of
the Cornish, was drowned.
- 876 The Battle of Sunday in Mona.
- 877 Rhodri and his son Gwriad is killed by
- 878 Aed son of Neill dies.
- 880 The Battle of Conwy. Vengeance for
Rhodri at God's hand. The Battle of Cynan.
- 882 Catgueithen died.
- 885 Hywel died in Rome.
- 887 Cerball died.
- 889 Suibne the wisest of the Irish died.
- 892 Hyfaidd dies.
- 894 Anarawd came with the Angles and laid
waste Ceredigion and Ystrad Tywi.
- 895 The Northmen came and laid waste
Lloegr [England] and Bycheiniog and Gwent and Gwynllywg.
- 896 Bread failed in Ireland. Vermin like
moles with two teeth fell from the air and ate everything up. They
were driven out by fasting and prayer.
- 898 Athelstan, King of the Saxons, died.
- 900 Alfred, King of the Gewissae, dies.
- 902 Igmund came to Mona and took Maes
- 903 Merfyn son of Rhodri died and Llywarch
son of Hyfaidd dies.
- 904 Rhodri son of Hyfaidd was beheaded in
- 906 The Battle of Dinmeir and Mynyw was
- 907 Bishop Gorchywyl dies and King Cormac.
- 908 Bishop Asser died.
- 909 King Cadell son of Rhodri dies.
- 913 Ohter comes to Britain.
- 915 Anarawd king of the Britons dies.
- 917 Queen Aethelflaed died.
- 919 King Clydog was killed.
- 921 The Battle of Dinas Newydd.
- 928 Hywel journeyed to Rome. Helen died.
- 935 Gruffydd son of Owain died.
- 938 The Battle of Brune [Brunanburgh].
- 939 Hyfaidd son of Clydog and Meurig died.
- 941 Aethelstan, King of the Saxons, died.
- 942 King Afloeg dies.
- 943 Cadell son of Arthfael was poisoned.
And Idwal son of Rhodri and his son Elisedd are killed by the Saxons.
- 944 Llunferth, Bishop in Mynyw, died.
- 945 Bishop Morlais died.
- 946 Cyngen son of Elisedd was poisoned.
And Eneuris, Bishop in Mynyw, died. And Strathclyde was laid waste by
- 947 Edmund, King of the Saxons, was
- 950 Hywel, King of the Britons, called the
- 951 And Cadwgan son of Owain is killed by
the Saxons. And the Battle of Carno between the sons of Hywel and the
sons of Idwal.
- 952 Iago and Idwal the sons of Idwal laid
- 954 Rhodri son of Hywel dies.