- Edwin was born about AD 584. He
was a Prince Deira (part of Northumbria).
- When he was a boy, his father was
killed by the Bernicians (who lived in the other part of
Northumbria). The Bernician king made him live in
exile (outside his country).
- When he grew up, his friend, King
Redwald of East
Anglia, helped him gather together a big army. They fought
a big battle and took back Northumbria.
- Edwin became a Christian at his
palace in Yeavering.
- His powerful armies took over
British kingdoms, like Elmet and South Rheged.
- Later, two kings invaded
Northumbria. They were King Cadwallon of
Gwynedd (in Wales)
& King Penda of Mercia.
They killed Edwin in AD 633.