Who was buried in
the Famous Ship?
- The weapons
and armour found in the ship
burial at Sutton Hoo show that the
dead person was a man.
- This man owned a big
ship. He was buried in it. This shows he was a pagan.
- He had possessions covered in gold and
shows he was very rich.
- He possessed spoons which might
have been Christian objects.
- He also had things which had come from
a long way away. This shows he had lots of contacts abroad.
- The man owned what seems to be a standard
and a sceptre. These show he was very powerful.
- This rich and powerful man may have
been a king. The Kings of East Anglia
are thought to have lived at Rendlesham. This is not far from Sutton
- Some of the coins in the dead man's
purse were made in AD 625.
This shows he must have died after that date.
- There was a King of East Anglia who
died some time between AD 617 and AD 631. His name was Redwald.
He became a Christian, but was still keen on pagan ways. It was probably Redwald who was buried in the
great Sutton Hoo ship burial.