- Oswald was born about AD 605. He
was a Prince Bernicia (part of Northumbria).
- When he was a boy, his father was
killed by King Edwin of Northumbria. He was made to live in
exile (outside his country).
- Oswald's friend, King Domnall
Brecc of Dalriada (in Scotland), helped him gather together a
big army. After Edwin's death, they fought a big battle with
the Welsh & the Mercians who were living in Northumbria.
King Cadwallon of Gwynedd (in Wales) was killed and Oswald
took back his kingdom.
- Oswald was a famous Christian. He
did lots of good works.
- He helped the Irishman, St.
Aidan, set up the monastery at Lindisfarne. He also made
friends with the Kings of Wessex & North Rheged.
- His armies took over Gododdin (in
- In AD 641, he was killed fighting
King Penda of Mercia
at Oswestry in Shropshire.