Was there a Body
in the Famous Ship?
- When archaeologists discovered the
famous ship burial at Sutton
Hoo, they didn't find a skeleton.
- Some people think that the ship was
just a memorial. There was never anyone buried there. This is
called a 'cenotaph'.
- However, the soil at Sutton Hoo is
very acidic. A skeleton can dissolve in very acidic soil. This
is very unusual though. It disappears, like sugar dissolving in
- Archaeologists think that the boat
caught rainwater and formed a big acidic bath.
- They have tested the soil where
they would expect to find a body. It contained chemicals which
probably came from a dissolved body.
- The dead person seems to have been
buried in a large wooden coffin called a 'sarcophagus'.
was buried there?