Why is this Place
- Sutton Hoo is a place in Suffolk.
- In the Dark Ages &
it was in the Kingdom of East Anglia.
- There is a field in the village
with lots of big bumps in the ground. Some are quite large, like
- No-one knew how old the mounds
were, but they thought they probably had people buried inside
- In Tudor times, treasure hunters
had dug a big hole into the biggest mound, but they didn't find much.
- Before the Second World War, the
land was owned by a lady named Mrs. Edith Pretty. She was very
interested in history.
- In 1939, she let a group of
archaeologists excavate the main big mound. They were led by
Stuart Piggott and Peter Grimes.
- They found that it was Saxon
and contained lots of armour, weapons,
jewellery, symbols of power and
Gold, gold and more gold!
- All these things were found inside
the remains of a huge wooden ship which had been buried under
- But there was no
- This was the greatest
archaeological discovery ever made on British soil.
- All the things found can be seen in
the British Museum in London.